HISTORIES, MYSTERIES, AND CULTURE OF THE AMERICAN SOUTH WEST August 6 - August 15 2017
Hosted by international photo guide and instructor Brigitte Lucke, and Santa Fe guide James Robinson
Package Price: $2,960 USD.
A 10 day travel and photography experience visiting and exploring the Four Corner region of the Southwest. Besides discovering and exploring the spectacular scenery, we are going to visit archeological sites and cliff dwellings from early civilizations, where Puebloans and cliff dwellers lived for thousands of years before European settlement.
There will be endless photographic opportunities, and I'll provide you with guidance, advice and critique regarding your photography whenever you wish, as well as information about the mystery, history and culture of the places we are going to visit. Get a feeling as the landscape reveals the charm of northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. See unique places "off the beaten trail".
James Robinson, a specialist in American Native Art, who lives in Santa Fe, and I are both enthusiastic about the history, art and culture of the Southwest, and will share our own individual insights about this enchanted landscape and the people who have lived here for centuries. We will immerse you in a rich experience of it, as well as having a delightful vacation (fun and exciting accommodations and side trips).
AUGUST 6th - Arrivals to Albuquerque, check-in at Los Poblanos B & B.. Happy hour “get acquainted” gathering, 5 PM. Welcome dinner included.
AUGUST 7th - Depart 8:30 AM for trip to Acoma Pueblo.
Depart for trip to Rio Vista Park, Rio Rancho.
Hike in a city park, on the remnants of the historic pueblo village of Tiguex, circa 1540. Discover pottery shards, flint-napped flakes, perhaps rock tools. Gather in woodland teaching circle for short lecture with expert and author Professor Dennis Herrick; he will describe the local pueblo culture and the conflict with the first white men they encountered in 1540 (Coronado’s War).
Here is a link to his book about this very spot! http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Metal-People-Untold-Americas/dp/1620062372
Then on to Coronado Historical Site at in Bernalillo. Depart for Sandia Resort Hotel check-in.
AUGUST 8th - DEPART 7:30 AM for trip to Chaco Canyon. Picnic lunches and water packed in cooler. We advise some advance research on this site so you understand prior to arrival.
Here's a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_Culture_National_Historical_Park.
And here is an interesting video from The History Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwRJpGZh9Uk
Ranger guided tour. Picnic. Photo hiking. Visitor Center shop and movie.
Depart for trip to Farmington. Check-in at hotel (to be selected). Evening free for planning.
AUGUST 9th - Depart at 5:30 AM for trip to Bisti Badlands.
Photo hiking and picnic lunches.
Depart mid day for trip to Aztec Ruins.
Depart for short trip to Sky Ute Casino Hotel for check-in.
Evening free. See casino website for entertainment activities available.
AUGUST 10th – 9 AM, visit Sky Ute Cultural Center to learn the history of the Ute tribe.
DEPART for trip to Wolfwood Refuge – photo visit in a wolf sanctuary!
Depart for trip to Elk Point Lodge on Lake Vallecito. Check-in and gather for 4 PM dinner horseback ride (trail ride for one hour to chuckwagon dinner site, steak dinner and ride back to stables; transportation for non-riders available).
AUGUST 11th – Morning hiking and photos around scenic Lake Vallecito. Depart 12 noon for Durango, explore historic downtown. Depart for Mancos Valley, stop for photos, arrive at Anasazi Cultural Heritage Center for orientation to area. Depart for scenic and serene Kelly Place Bed & Breakfast.
Anasazi Cultural Heritage Center: http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ahc.html
Check-in at Kelly Place B & B: http://www.kellyplace.com/lodging-cortez.html
AUGUST 12th – DEPART 6:00 AM for Hovenweep and Canyon of The Ancients (Painted Hand Pueblo and Lowry Pueblo).
Depart late afternoon for short trip to Mesa Verde National Park and hotel for check-in. Evening open. Possible photo round-table critiques.
AUGUST 13tH: TOUR AND HIKE MESA VERDE.
Depart for trip to Pagosa Springs. Enjoy hot springs soak, and lodging.
AUGUST 14th Depart long before dawn for trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park. Capture the sunrise over the sand dunes.
Depart for trip to San Luis, CO. for coffee break and treats.
Depart for scenic drive to Taos,
Stop at Taos Gorge for photos.
Arrive Mabel Dodge Luhan House for tour.
Evening free to make your own magic in Taos.
August 15th – depart to go to Taos Pueblo for photo tour. This a historic pueblo that is still occupied by residents. There are rules and fees; and, there is the very real possibility that it will be closed for ceremonial activities. If so, we have a 'back-up' itinerary planned.
Depart for scenic trip down the Rio Grande river valley to Nambe Trading Post, with stop along the Rio Grande outside Taos for photos.
Arrive Nambe Trading Post for shopping and greeting from Cathy Smith, proprietor and award winning movie costume designer (Dances With Wolves, Son of The Morning Star, Last of The Mohicans, The Missing, and 30 other films) until finished. Depart for Buffalo Thunder Casino Resort.
Then go for margaritas and nachos, and dinner, at Gabriel’s. Get sunset photos of the mesa from there.
August 16th - departures from Santa Fe or Albuquerque airports (shuttles are available but not included in our fees). If you wish to extend your visit we will assist you in planning other activities such as the Santa Fe Indian Market - a world famous gathering of over 600 Native American artists and over 100,000 visitors and patrons.
Nuts and Bolts
- This photo tour is suitable for photographers of all levels. Bring your camera you normally use (don't forget your camera manual booklet), lenses and a tripod. We want to keep the size of the group small, to guaranty tailored photography instructions, and focus on the skills, interests and needs of each participant. (Small group size, limited to 8 participants)
- We don't have any influence on the weather, but welcome changing light and weather conditions. It's almost always photogenic in New Mexico!
- Some locations require short hikes, sometimes over uneven terrain, please good hiking shoes!
- Keep in mind that we are not traveling at sea-level, we will be typically 7,000 feet elevation and more. Make sure you don't have any medical conditions that could be adversely affected by altitude. Ample drinking will be supplied and we expect you to stay hydrated!
- Changes in the program: Pueblos and villages are not theme parks, and we need to respect the tribal rules and dignity of the people who live there. Sometimes a village is closed to the public. So we need to be flexible, but James and I are planning some alternate programs, just in case.
Package Price: $2.960 USD.
This photo touris offered as a complete package. Prices are per person, based on double occupancy. Single occupancy available for additional charge. A $800 non-refundable deposit is required by March 31st to secure your space! Balance is due by June 15, 2016.
Due to the exclusivity of our trip, and the limited members of seats available, refunds are as followed:
Refundable Balance: 90 days before the start date.
Feel free to contact us for further information.
If you wish to join James and me on our photography tour in the American Southwest, you can place your interest by using our contact form and we keep you informed.
Contact James's email: RobinsonSouthwest@gmail.com
- Overnight sleeping accommodations. Double occupancy for each night. You may request single occupancy, if available, at additional expense.
- Breakfast daily
- Welcome dinner, memorable horseback/chuckwagon steak dinner, and scenic farewell dinner, (alcoholic beverages not included).
- Ground transportation
- Guide fees
- Camera Fees
- Bottled water
- Entrance, Park- and archeological Zone fees
- Transport: Air conditioned mini coach
- 1 bag + carry on per person
- photo instruction and tutuition
Price does not include:
- Flights to /from Albuquerque, airport taxes, passport costs, optional tours or excursions
- Travel insurance (highly recommended that you purchase travel & cancellation insurance)
- Alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, any hotel incidentals: i.e. movies, room service, mini-bar, phone, fax or internet fees
- Personal shopping and laundry
- Lunches and dinners beyond those described above.