NEW MEXICO - Land of Enchantment - 6 Days Travel Photography
July 29 - August 3 2017
Photo packed tour in scenic New Mexico: $2,480 USD
Hosted by art historian and photographer Brigitte Lucke, and by Santa Fe guide James Robinson
6 days travel-photography workshop following the foot-tracks of Georgia O'Keeffe, Ansel Adams, Ernest Knee and Edward Weston. When you look around you will see and identify many of the scenes in their works. Expect the unexpected light, witness captivating shadows, study the colors, lines, shapes, and structures for your own compositions. Explore the diverse, wide open landscape under the always dramatically changing New Mexican sky. Get close and intimate, develop your creative vision, and create images that express your unique experience and style.
This travel-photography workshop has been designed for photographers, artists and art lovers, who are open to a very personalized South-West encounter. We are not going to shoot 10 highlights of the Southwest in 4 States in 5 days, but take our time to discover breathtaking scenery! You will learn how to read the light, and how to see the potential of an image and find your own language. New Mexico never disappoints the photographer!
July, 29 Arrive at Buffalo Thunder Casino Resort. Free shuttles from Santa Fe are available. Check in, (get relaxed at the pool or the spa if you want!), then meet your group members and hosts for a get-acquainted meal. Mother Nature may put on a show at sunset so keep your camera handy!
July, 30 After a delicious breakfast we'll check out and depart for some artistic adventure in Santa Fe. We'll explore and get inspired by Georgia O Keeffe's paintings in the Santa Fe Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, then head over to Canyon Road for a little gallery hopping, photos of Santa Fe's iconic adobe and turquoise combinations, and a light and tasty lunch at The Teahouse on Canyon Road. Next, we'll depart for the ride toward Taos, stopping to capture some jaw-dropping views of the gorge, the river, and the afternoon skies. You will be delivered to the historic Hotel La Fonda de Taos that puts you in the heart of old Taos for your own selections of evening options only steps away.
Rio Grande Photowalk
July, 31: Visit the Taos Tribal Reservation and Pueblo, with a member of the tribe as tour guide. Then we will head up the road to the quaint little village of Arroyo Seco. As time allows, we tour the Mabel Dodge-Lujan House (where the artists of her time gathered), The Millicent Rogers Museum,and Rancho de Taos. You will have ample time to enjoy a stroll around the gallery district in Taos before the sun sets and the sky illuminates the adobe.
August, 1 and August, 2. Two days of adventure in Abiquii.
We are going to be in the field from dawn,to dusk! Visit the white sandstone cliffs of Plaza Blanca, the Echo Amphitheater, Abiquiu Lake, the Red Cliffs and sweeping vistas of the Rio Chama valley. You will spend your first night immersed in the spirit of Georgia O'Keeffe, at the Ghost Ranch. No city lights, so if the weather allows it will be an ideal place for night shots. Your second night will be at the totally charming Abiquii Inn - relax in a casita, have a browse through the art gallery full of local artist's creations, and cap the night with a delicious beverage and fine meal at the Abiquii Inn restaurant. You may hear the cattle or the horses in the adjacent meadow as you enjoy the evening air at your casita....
Georgia O'Keeffe at Ghostranch Landscape tour will bring us to a restricted area of the ranch to discover the scenery and locations of O'Keeffe's famous paintings. Bring comfortable hiking shoes!
The Georgia O'Keeffe's Abiquiu Home and Studio tour is optional, and not included in the program, as there are no photos allowed.
Poshuouinge 2.5 miles south of Abiquiu. Up about the Chama river you can see the outline and shape of a prehistoric site, which is little known to the public.
August 3, Depart on return trip to Santa Fe. First we'll stop at a fragrant lavender farm for some aromatic photos of lavender fields and floral gardens, with delightful pastry and cup of tea. Further down the road we will stop for an escorted tour of the fascinating Puye Cliff Dwellings near the Santa Clara Pueblo. Discover the history of puebloan ancestors, see petroglyph images, and imagine life 700 years ago. We don't want to short change your Santa Fe photo and shopping oportunities so we'll allow ample time to explore the historic Santa Fe Plaza, where you can browse the Native American jewelry offered by tribal artists under the portal at The Palace of The Governors. The New Mexico History museum is right around the corner...or you can explore the famous shops and galleries around the iconic Plaza. We'll deliver you to the Hotel Santa Fe for a luxurious night at the only Native-owned hotel in Santa Fe. You will be hosted for a gourmet farewell dinner at Brigitte's favorite bistro, La Boca.
August 5th - departures to airports. If you wish to extend your visit, we'll be glad to deliver you to your next local destination (we can help you plan this extension).
Nuts and Bolts
- This photo tour is suitable for photographers of all levels. Bring your camera you normally use (don't forget your camera manual booklet), lenses and a tripod. We want to keep the size of the group small, to guarantee tailored photography instructions, and focus on the skills, interests and needs of each participant. (Small group size, limited to 6 participants, minimum of 4 required).
- We don't have any influence on the weather, but welcome changing light and weather conditions.
- Some locations require short hikes, sometimes over uneven terrain.
- Keep in mind that we are not traveling at sea-level. Make sure you don't have any medical conditions that could be adversary affected by altitude.
- Changes in the program: Pueblos and villages are not theme parks, and we need to respect the rules and needs of the people who live there. Sometimes a village is closed to the public. So we need to be flexible, but James and I are planning some alternative programs, just in case.
Workshop prices ($ 2.480 USD) are per person. Package includes:
- Overnight sleeping accommodations. Double occupancy for 6 nights. If you prefer single occupancy please add $800.:
- Breakfast daily
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Ground transportation
- Guide fees
- Camera Fees
- Bottled water and light snacks.
- Entrance, Park- and archeological Zone fees
- Transport: Air conditioned mini coach
- 1 bag + carry on per person
- Photo instruction and tuition
Price does not include:
- Flights to /from Albuquerque, airport taxes, passport costs, optional tours or excursions
- Travel insurance (highly recommended that you purchase travel &cancellation insurance)
- Alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, any hotel incidentals:i.e. movies, room service, mini-bar, phone, fax or internet fees
- Personal shopping and laundry
- Lunches and dinners beyond the welcome dinner and farewell dinner
A $500 non-refundable deposit is required by March 31st to secure your space! Balance is due by June 15, 2016. Payment instructions will be emailed to you.
Due to the exclusivity of our trip, and the limited number of places available, book early!
Refundable Balance: 90 days before the start date.
Feel free to contact us for further information.
If you wish to join James and me on our photography tour in the American Southwest, you can place your interest by using our contact form and we will keep you informed.
Contact James's email: RobinsonSouthwest@gmail.com